[Previous] [Next] [Index] [Thread]

Re: who visited my page?

Once up on a time, getting an e-mail address was easy. Someone abused
the privilege by sending junk email to anyone who visited their site. So,
new versions of browsers do not provide the information to the web
server, unless you ask for it in a form (at least in theory). Earlier
version of Java/Java Script (I'm not sure which) did allow html document
to send email to whoever, which contained the email address (newer version
of Netscape does not allow that). I'm sure MSIE can be instructed to send
back the email address using ActiveX (If you could shut off people's
computer or erase their hard disk, stealing their email address cannot be
that much harder).

Anyway, IMHO trying to get someone's email address without asking them is
not an ethical thing to do.

Shin